James Lipton’s passing today marks the true end of an era. I was obsessed with Inside the Actor’s Studio as a teenager–I watched every episode I could find access to, and learned a lot about movies and life from the guests, but also from Mr. Lipton himself. He was a class act, and will be missed, and I hope that if heaven exists, whatever God says to him when he arrives at the pearly gates is worthy of him.
In his honor, my answers to his infamous questionnaire:
- What is your favorite word? Free
- What is your least favorite word? Emasculate
- What turns you on? Passion
- What turns you off? Ignorance
- What sound or noise do you love? Rain on a tin roof
- What sound or noise do you hate? Anyone in pain
- What is your favorite curse word? Fuck
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Filmmaker
- What profession would you not like to do? Politician
- If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? You made the most of it.
May we all live as long and as fruitful a life.